1993-12-05 - Re: Who am I Really

Header Data

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b9d41656e6eaf5b0630486903d8147f414aeec72500a85e0262378512d17aea1
Message ID: <199312050626.WAA10555@mail.netcom.com>
Reply To: <9312050558.AA23035@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-12-05 06:29:36 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 4 Dec 93 22:29:36 PST

Raw message

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 93 22:29:36 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Who am I Really

> Whoever sboxx@lodestone.nsa.gov is, he sure ISN'T NSA!
> Everyone knows that NSA does not have an ip address and the one that
> it does use is so innocuous that any private knows it!
> Kasey
> a/k/a The Punisher

Truly, as the message-ID of his posting to us says:

<9312050502.AA08272@longs.lance.colostate.edu>

...which ought to look pretty familiar by now. He altered the "From:"
field to his fictional "sboxx@lodestone.nsa.gov" address, but
neglected certain other identifying marks.

Not that anyone has any doubts (do I see any hands raised? I didn't
think so). Yes, Lance or Larry (he took me to task for using "Larry")
is still ranting over in talk.politics.crypto. Yes, still playing
games.

What's beginning to irritate me--which is probably LD's intent--is the
e-mail I'm getting from non-Cypherpunks asking me to explain myself
to justify my campaign against Detweiler! Sort of like what happened
about a month ago when a number of Cypherpunks were not fully aware of
LD's history and methods and were, to varying degrees, suggesting we
listen to him and so forth (I have no objection to that....I don't
urge censorship by the List per se, just common sense filters and
possibly expulsion of seriously disruptive folks...but I have no say
over this so am just expressing my views).

The list as a whole is much more loosely-coupled and so the feedback
loop is even longer. My approach is to not try to correct their many
misapprehensions. Why should I, after all? This Detweiler business
will blow over, and the Net has more important things to worry about.

To those who frequently urge us not to mention Detweiler, or to take a
pledge of silence (Sorry, Sandy!), I feel my few postings on LD are
only a tiny fraction of his postings--that man must spend several
hours a day composing his ramblings and free association tracts. If
you worry about bandwidth wastage, go to the main cause instead. Or
use kill files, filters, etc.

I do actually comment on _other_ things, you know.

I got an Apple Newton today, so I'll be playing with it pretty
intensively for the next few days (Scott Collins demoed some
crypto-related apps for the Newton at the last Cypherpunks meeting...I
think this is an important tool for local storage of keys and perhaps
even for being a main PGP platform, once connectivity to more machines
and programs is made easier.)

--Tim May

tcmay@netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
Higher Power: 2^756839 | Public Key: PGP and MailSafe available.
Note: I put time and money into writing this posting. I hope you enjoy it.

Thread