1993-12-01 - Re: your mail

Header Data

From: archie@phantom.com (Douglas Chester)
To: warlord@MIT.EDU (Derek Atkins)
Message Hash: dd49b41a07a1b949db936ac3e44e9045e12d6e923ba8139180a7d4f55300abec
Message ID: <m0p514c-0009NzC@mindvox.phantom.com>
Reply To: <9312012321.AA03674@toxicwaste.media.mit.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-12-01 23:32:24 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 1 Dec 93 15:32:24 PST

Raw message

From: archie@phantom.com (Douglas Chester)
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 93 15:32:24 PST
To: warlord@MIT.EDU (Derek Atkins)
Subject: Re: your mail

> There are tons of functions along those lines.  Your query is not very
> specific. What kind of algorithm do you want, public-key or
> secret-key?  What size key?  Blocksize?  whatever.
>
> You've just defined an abstraction that includes every single
> encryption function known to man....
>
> -derek

It should be a secret key algorithm, and be able to hanlde blocks of at least
256 characters in length.  Keysize isn't as important as the type of encryption
being used.  Something that is reasonably secure such as IDEA or DES is
preferable to a function that just XORs everything.

I'm sure if I was a more patient person I could download a few megs of source
from the net and pore through it to find what I'm looking for.  I was hoping
that someone on this list could be of assistance and save me the trouble.
Thanks.

Thread