1994-01-27 - Re: Randomness of a bit string

Header Data

From: Chris Knight <cknight@crl.com>
To: Lefty <lefty@apple.com>
Message Hash: 2633c71d9c5c18c7d50779129592119aa92a51c85e9b6bc6cdf87f8e1424cb5a
Message ID: <Pine.3.87.9401261932.A26605-0100000@crl.crl.com>
Reply To: <9401261718.AA26522@federal-excess.apple.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-01-27 03:47:25 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 26 Jan 94 19:47:25 PST

Raw message

From: Chris Knight <cknight@crl.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 94 19:47:25 PST
To: Lefty <lefty@apple.com>
Subject: Re: Randomness of a bit string

On Wed, 26 Jan 1994, Lefty wrote:

> >I remember one of those MENSA-type tests where your were supposed to
> >find the pattern in a set of numbers.  One of the strings were the
> >stops of a NY City subway line!
>
> ...thereby demonstrating that Stephen Hawking, for instance, is probably
> not qualified to join the ranks of Mensa.
>
> I wish people would learn to distinguish "intelligence" from "high
> tolerance for retaining massive amounts of pointless trivia".
>
> Sorry, just a peeve of mine.

There is a major difference.  At any given Mensa RG, there is the group
playing trivial pursuit, and there is the other group...  "Hell's
Mensans" are notorious for "livening" up events.  Of course we are also
the ones responsible for the O'Hare Ramada getting cold to our parties.
I wonder if they ever straightened out their pay-per-view cable problems...

-ck

Thread