1994-01-23 - Archiving mail-lists…

Header Data

From: Jim choate <ravage@wixer.bga.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 67140d86bd86e3617d09aeeaf71938eb8c21063cc9652729f55c3eddadd8cc97
Message ID: <9401230514.AA02950@wixer>
Raw Date: Sat, 22 Jan 94 21:46:28 PST

Raw message

From: Jim choate <ravage@wixer.bga.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 94 21:46:28 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Archiving mail-lists...

Hi Folks,

I am bringing up a inet node in my house in the near future (would have been
this week but software bugs were discovered) and over the next year I am
going to add a r/w CD (Tahiti to be specific). This drive holds either ISO-
9660 or 1G formats. The plan at this point is to archive the usenet
newsgroups (all 4k+ of them) and then once a year make like 500 regular CD
copies and resell them. I am looking at adding mail-lists of general or
unique intererst, because of this I am strongly looking at adding the
cypherpunks list.

I would be interested in a discussion on the mail-list on this issue. Please
refrain from sending personal mail. In particular do you think such a archive
without every members permission is un-ethical? Would a archivist necessarily
need the permission of the mail-list sponser?

Thanks for any opinions or insight.

Thread