1994-01-05 - New Yorker article on Bill Gates

Header Data

From: Jonathan Corbet <corbet@stout.atd.ucar.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6fdc7b1fa5f89f79cc9a38358d72e4a15b2fc71f6e8d5712c8973266f2391754
Message ID: <199401050446.VAA10658@stout.atd.ucar.EDU>
Raw Date: Tue, 4 Jan 94 20:49:12 PST

Raw message

From: Jonathan Corbet <corbet@stout.atd.ucar.EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 94 20:49:12 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: New Yorker article on Bill Gates

The January 10 issue of the New Yorker has an amusing article about the
author's email communications with Bill Gates.  Perhaps most interesting,
from the point of view of this list, is the quote from one of Gates's
messages:

	I am the only person who reads my email so no one has to worry
	about embarrassing themselves or going around people when they send
	a message.  Our email is completely secure...

Neither Gates nor the New Yorker author (John Seabrook) seems aware that
messages from 73124.1524@compuserve.com to billg@microsoft.com travel in
plaintext over the Internet.  Either that or they aren't admitting to their
use of encryption...:-)  Seabrook's article is about, as much as anything,
a newbie discovering the pleasures of email, so he can be forgiven for not
questioning the above statement.  Gates should know better.  Even if
security within microsoft.com is absolute, which seems unlikely to me.

Actually, the whole article shows a sort of awe of "Bill" that, from my
unix-oriented perspective, I really can not share.  But it's an interesting
read anyway.  The New Yorker is showing a surprising willingness to delve
into interesting parts of our culture these days.

Jonathan Corbet
National Center for Atmospheric Research, Atmospheric Technology Division
corbet@stout.atd.ucar.edu

Thread