1994-01-27 - Re: subpoenas of personal

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7afb6eada355a7651ac2b2066c2bd3d738d6db57d1074b076eae7a703f164733
Message ID: <199401271745.AA29471@panix.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 27 Jan 94 09:47:42 PST

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 94 09:47:42 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: subpoenas of personal

To: cypherpunks@toad.com

C >I stated that those cases didn't hold against reporters because of
C >constitutional backing (i.e.  Freedom of the Press).
C >
C >A protection which we do not have, unless you happen to publish.
C >
C >-ck

An appeals court has just held that Press Shield laws apply to those
writing books.  Since anything can be research for a book, those of us who
have written books may have protection for all our "notes."  Likewise
those who have written freelance magazine articles.  Better to use
encryption for your notes though.

DCF

Who wonders if those who post to Usenet News are "reporters"?

--- WinQwk 2.0b#1165

Thread