1994-01-11 - Re: Internet billing scam?

Header Data

From: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com (bill.stewart@pleasantonca.ncr.com +1-510-484-6204)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8e01d3be2d161b1741cd3f7cc24706ea220ab57bd28f7614bd79c8237bff9292
Message ID: <9401110104.AA25513@anchor.ho.att.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 10 Jan 94 17:06:37 PST

Raw message

From: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com (bill.stewart@pleasantonca.ncr.com +1-510-484-6204)
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 94 17:06:37 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Internet billing scam?

I tried to telnet to mary.iia.org, and a Sun machine named "mary" did answer;
I didn't play around with telnetting to port 25 nad seeing if it did smtp,
though I'll try sending mail to bogususer@mary.iia.org and see if it bounces.

As Steve points out, sometimes credit cards are more useful for services
like this than digicash is, but I'd still prefer not to send
credit card numbers in cleartext, even if the card vendor is supposed
to eat most of the fraudulent use.  Would be nice if they'd use some
sort of public-key mail system so that they're the only ones capable of
fraudulently using the card number, rather than any eavesdropper :-)

			Bill Stewart

Thread