1994-01-26 - Re: subpoenas of personal papers

Header Data

From: Chris Knight <cknight@crl.com>
To: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
Message Hash: 973b6a5e90c94853f38d2916b82691b5718aac52fdd3e7f3ef79b5188be0c845
Message ID: <Pine.3.87.9401252356.A17584-0100000@crl.crl.com>
Reply To: <199401260657.WAA00881@servo.qualcomm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-01-26 07:22:20 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 25 Jan 94 23:22:20 PST

Raw message

From: Chris Knight <cknight@crl.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 94 23:22:20 PST
To: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
Subject: Re: subpoenas of personal papers

> There was a flurry of laws during the 1970s that extended somewhat
> similar privileges to reporters and their sources, but they don't seem
> to have held up very well since the Big Lurch to the Right.
>
> Phil

As I mentioned in the second paragraph of my original letter (The one you
didn't quote in your reply), I stated that those cases didn't hold
against reporters because of constutional backing (i.e.  Freedom of the
Press).  A protection which we do not have, unless you happen to publish.

-ck

Thread