1994-01-01 - Re: Anonymous Video on Demand

Header Data

From: Matt Blaze <mab@crypto.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c0c6724aecd012958061720801765ed0dbe6c1a21723314e387d96f6c1db53fd
Message ID: <9401011821.AA24360@crypto.com>
Reply To: <9401010055.AA27523@bilbo.suite.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-01-01 18:38:53 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 1 Jan 94 10:38:53 PST

Raw message

From: Matt Blaze <mab@crypto.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 94 10:38:53 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Anonymous Video on Demand

In cypherpunks you write:
>(The following is adapted from the oblivious transfer protocol described
>in "Applied Cryptography" on page 98.)

>Say Alice is the Video Vendor and Bob is the customer...

>Alice generates a public/private key pair for each movie in her video
>database and publishes the public keys in an electronic catalog.  Each
>public key would be paired with a movie description and a catalog index
>number.

>Bob downloads Alice's catalog and browses through it offline.  Bob makes a
>selection, and also randomly picks 99 (or any large number) other catalog
>numbers

>Bob generates a random DES key and encrypts this key with the public key
>associated with his selection.

>Bob sends the encrypted DES key and the list of 100 catalog numbers to
>Alice.

>Alice decrypts the DES key with the private key associated each catalog
>number received from Bob.  In only one case will Alice successfully
>recover Bob's DES key, only she doesn't know which case.

>Alice encrypts each movie selection with the resulting DES keys from the
>previous step and sends all 100 encrypted movies to Bob.

>Bob will only be able to decrypt and view the movie he selected and Alice
>wont know which of the 100 movies Bob selected.

>Ta Da!

It just occured to me that when this protocol is implemented with RSA,
it is subject to a minor (and unlikely) failure that can allow Alice
to determine which video Bob has selected (or at least eliminate some
of them).  If each video keypair has a different modulus and the one
Bob selects has a larger modulus than some of the "dummy" videos, then
if the encryption of Bob's session key with his selected video public key
results in a message that is close to the modulus itself, the keypairs
with moduli that are smaller than Bob's message can be trivially eliminated
as candidates.

Of course, Bob can easily test for this condition and simply select a new
key (or diddle a random confounder in the message) until the encrypted
message is smaller than the modulus of any dummy keypairs.

-matt

Thread