1994-01-11 - Re: Twelve year flashback to Admiral Bobby Inman

Header Data

From: phred@well.sf.ca.us (Fred Heutte)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c8f8242e8c6e5002ecb104dc67815f6593a2be4fca768c719fa053b44ce1f488
Message ID: <9401110205.ZM8030@well.sf.ca.us>
Reply To: <9401101047.AA19758@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-01-11 10:06:42 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 11 Jan 94 02:06:42 PST

Raw message

From: phred@well.sf.ca.us (Fred Heutte)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 94 02:06:42 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Twelve year flashback to Admiral Bobby Inman

Thanks for posting that, John.  I don't think I particularly want to
ask ONE of my Senators (Packwood) about this, since as far as I am
concerned he is a shame to the nation and my state.  But I will ask
the other one -- Hatfield -- to vote against this nomination.  In
general, I am against career military and/or intelligence operatives
from being Secretary of Defense, because it is important to retain
at least a semblance of civilian control.  (Of course, the way things
really work, it might not make that much difference.  But appearances
*do* matter, and I care deeply about small-d democratic civilian control
of our national government and its agencies.)

Hatfield is no particular friend of the military-industrial complex
(although not especially an opponent either), so it may be possible
to find someone on his staff who is interested in pursuing the *real*
Bobby Ray Inman story.

Fred Heutte
Sunlight Data Systems
phred@well.sf.ca.us
phred@teleport.com
heutte@cse.ogi.edu

"Why make it simple and easy
 When you can make it complex and wonderful!"

Thread