1994-01-26 - Re: clipper pin-compatible chip

Header Data

From: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
To: rarachel@prism.poly.edu
Message Hash: dd19319cbcdbbf21d5b0272d61aa6b110d6e78d29969cd0b63641a9286ec3a71
Message ID: <199401260626.WAA00826@servo.qualcomm.com>
Reply To: <9401250457.AA23248@prism.poly.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-01-26 06:26:56 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 25 Jan 94 22:26:56 PST

Raw message

From: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 94 22:26:56 PST
To: rarachel@prism.poly.edu
Subject: Re: clipper pin-compatible chip

>Once the clipper chips are common place, perhaps we could get some company
>to build IDEA chips that are pin compatible with the clipper chip itself,
>and perhaps even some switching socket where if you're calling a device
>and want to use the clipper chip (due to compatibility reasons of course)
>you activate the clipper chip socket.  If not, you flip the switch the other
>way, and activate the IDEA chip.

This may not be very practical for small devices like portable cell
phones.  They tend to use a lot of surface mount technology, and are
not very readily modified after manufacture.

Phil

Thread