1994-01-26 - Re: clipper pin-compatible chip

Header Data

From: Sameer <sameer@soda.berkeley.edu>
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: e15a6a1b6c4062583bd7df1aa5753d291eb08a2045622438da8850c8731fade0
Message ID: <199401260829.AAA16924@soda.berkeley.edu>
Reply To: <199401260742.XAA24775@mail.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-01-26 08:34:08 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 26 Jan 94 00:34:08 PST

Raw message

From: Sameer <sameer@soda.berkeley.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 94 00:34:08 PST
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: clipper pin-compatible chip

> etc. (Too many variations on this to go into now. Suffice it to say
> that outlawing the sending of bits that they can't "understand" is too
> hard to enforce, even with foreseseable trends.)

	Which reminds me..

	I've recently started taking a class for the "American
Cultures" requirement here at UC Berkleey, about the "Languages of
America." In any case, I've been reading numerous articles about cases
in which people were *penalized* (mostly in school) for speaking to
their peers in their own native language as opposed to English, as
mandated by law.
	People have said, "Outlawing strong crypto is like telling you
tha you have to speak in a language they can understand." Don't be so
surprised-- it's been done before. (Not to as an extreme degree as
we're thinking about, but it *has* been done.)

Thread