1994-01-27 - re: The Packwood Memorial Diary Server

Header Data

From: dave_taffs@rainbow.mentorg.com (Dave Taffs)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e89ea1b6c77a718895d380a305010594f5eae1ba034e7a75b5f86e43688e0211
Message ID: <199401271931.AA20885@fpd.MENTORG.COM>
Raw Date: Thu, 27 Jan 94 11:37:44 PST

Raw message

From: dave_taffs@rainbow.mentorg.com (Dave Taffs)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 94 11:37:44 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: re: The Packwood Memorial Diary Server

Jim Miller writes:

>If true, I guess the next question becomes:  How can you offer a service
>to the Internet, but make it impossible for a Bad Guy to physically locate
>you?

>Perhaps the server shouldn't stay in any one location for very long.
>Bring it up and post an Internet address.  Operate for a few days, then
>shut it down and move to some new location, with a new Internet address.

You can use the Internet itself as a storage device. I've seen articles
about how you can use the ether between here and the moon as a storage
device, sending (e.g. optical or radio) information up to the moon,
bouncing it off, receiving the echo, and then resending it. It takes a few
seconds I think, which allows a fair amount of storage, depending on the
bandwidth.

So, for example, you have a bunch of net.sites that receive stuff and
send it back. Of course, you have to wait for it to come around again
to your neck of the Net-u-verse to read it again, but then you don't
have to pay for as much disk storage, as all your friends on the 'net
will let you use what they have in their store-and-forward mechanisms.

The disadvantage is that it relies on a form of security by obscurity;
once people figger out what you are doing, they may get pissed off. If
you use it wisely however, and just gradually increase the bandwidth
over time, eventually you may be able to get everybody else to pay for
the disk space to keep _your_ data, without anybody being the wiser.
The Internet as a (w)hole must have enormous capacity at this very
minute.

--
 O_O    	01234567        dave_taffs@mentorg.com                         |
 . .            ^       	"Kolmogorov-Chaitin measures of complexity are |

Thread