1994-02-24 - Re: RATINGS: Subject tags

Header Data

From: doug@netcom.com (Doug Merritt)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 00872097a701a458e007c91310b8f310e249db88a5d978e468ae1a13f29aab27
Message ID: <199402241752.JAA08805@netcom9.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 24 Feb 94 09:52:11 PST

Raw message

From: doug@netcom.com (Doug Merritt)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 94 09:52:11 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: RATINGS: Subject tags

hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes) said:
>One of the goals of this arrangement I've proposed is that it can be
>used to rate _any_ existing mailing list.

This kind of thing was discussed quite exhaustively in news.future last
year, and one of the spinoffs was an actual software implementation
which is currently available via ftp. I haven't kept up on it so I
don't know whether it can be used for mailing lists at the moment,
or just for "virtual" newsgroups, but in any case I include three
items of info below.

The first is a finger message from last summer that gives an overview,
the second is an equally old alpha-test message from the primary author
that gives more info, and the third is a recent ftp site announcement from
him. Between the three you should get some notion of what strn
is all about and whether it's worthwhile following up on.

If it does not currently support email lists, perhaps the authors could
be persuaded to add such support. There's also a mention of public
key cryptography below which is somewhat interesting.

Since his address changed over the last 6 months, I took the liberty
of changing references from his old to his new address in the older
two items, to avoid confusion.
	Doug
--
Doug Merritt				doug@netcom.com
Professional Wild-eyed Visionary	Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow

Unicode Novis Cypherpunks Gutenberg Wavelets Conlang Logli Alife HC_III
Computational linguistics Fundamental physics Cogsci SF GA VR CASE TLAs

From: caadams@access.digex.net (Clifford A Adams)
Newsgroups: news.future
Subject: Virtual newsgroups, ratings, indexes--coming soon?
Date: 23 Jun 1993 03:35:57 GMT

	The recent discussions on news.future have been very
interesting.  I'd just like to add that I'm working on several ideas
similar to some recent posts, and I hope to have some useful results
in the near future.  For instance, strn is very close to supporting
"virtual newsgroups" consisting of arbitrary articles from arbitrary
newsgroups.  These could be things like "top 20 thread" lists, indexes
similar to alt.sources.index, or moderated subsets of existing groups.

	In the next release strn (Scan TRN) will have merged newsgroups
consisting of all the articles from a set of newsgroups presented together.
(The code works well, but it needs documenting before release.)  Virtual
newsgroups are a fairly easy addition to this which I hope to add next week.
Distributing virtual newsgroup lists is going to be the hard part.
For now I'm looking at a mailing-list approach.  (Ick--I hate mail filters.)

	(Distributing the information using an alt.group with public key
authentication would be easy.  Unfortunately, that doesn't seem
possible in the current political environment.  Anyone who knows
differently is *welcomed* to correct me.  Even weak authentication would
be welcome if unpatented and exportable.)

	In short, some of these schemes might be implemented a few months
from now.  I hope to release strn 0.9.0 (beta) in a "few" weeks--right
now the alpha testing list is semi-closed.  (You *might* be able to
convince me if you try really hard.)  I'd like to talk to people about
new ideas, but I believe that the implementations are more
important--USENET isn't about to run out of new ideas anytime soon. ;)

				--Cliff

P.S.  For more information on strn and the USENET Interface Project, finger
my account: caadams@access.digex.net. I'll email more information on request.
--
Clifford A. Adams  caadams@access.digex.net | USENET Interface Project:
457 Ash St. NE     Albuquerque, NM  87106 | Tools for advanced newsreading