1994-02-04 - STEG: a real-life use for steganography

Header Data

From: “Alan (Miburi-san) Wexelblat” <wex@media.mit.edu>
To: hughes@ah.com
Message Hash: 0142813195b054131b4e85d270c3a5932a0e96d5ca32432dc54b3a510b898d1a
Message ID: <9402042009.AA09438@media.mit.edu>
Reply To: <9402041840.AA21942@ah.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-04 20:10:14 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 4 Feb 94 12:10:14 PST

Raw message

From: "Alan (Miburi-san) Wexelblat" <wex@media.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 94 12:10:14 PST
To: hughes@ah.com
Subject: STEG: a real-life use for steganography

Hunh.  I'm surprised that you would select a fixed medium (CDs) for a
variable information source.  How often do you plan to press new CDs?

Would it not be simpler to use steganography to encode the desired
information into GIFs of, say, US weather maps?  These maps are revised
quite often and it would be natural to send person X a new weather map every
day or so.

Yes, as we all know from past discussions, it's possible for someone who
knows what you're doing to recover the data "hidden" in the pictures.  But
how likely is that to happen?  What's the cost of this (or another non-
media-dependent solution) versus the complexity and cost of using CDs as
your transport mechanism?

[About the CDs: what will the sound like when played on a normal CD player?
Isn't this likely to attract attention?]

--Alan Wexelblat, Reality Hacker, Author, and Cyberspace Bard
Media Lab - Advanced Human Interface Group	wex@media.mit.edu
Voice: 617-258-9168 Page: 617-945-1842		an53607@anon.penet.fi
All the world's a stage and most of us are desperately unrehearsed.

Thread