1994-02-15 - Re: Clipper and Traffic Analysis

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org>
Message Hash: 053077c090af10776105954c649f0609e25facc7fec23c884eec07b10c1ff2c5
Message ID: <9402151608.AA25156@andria.lehman.com>
Reply To: <199402151428.JAA29394@eff.org>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-15 16:21:42 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 08:21:42 PST

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 08:21:42 PST
To: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org>
Subject: Re: Clipper and Traffic Analysis

Mike Godwin says:

> Does anyone here have any thoughts as to whether Clipper enables traffic
> analysis or tracing more easy than it normally is under Switching System
> 7? The reason I ask is, I have this sense that one reason the government
> likes Clipper is that the Law Enforcement Access Field enables agents
> to draw inferences about who's talking to whom and what they're saying,
> even without decrypting the actual communications.
>
> What do you think?

Normally, one can only determine the endpoints of a conversation. With
clipper, however, one can deduce a lot more, since when people move
around, go to hotels, phone booths, etc, you can still track their
clipper serial numbers.

Perry

Thread