1994-02-15 - Re: Tracking Contacts with Clipper

Header Data

From: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
To: qwerty-remailer@netcom.com
Message Hash: 09fb55e325becd27b9c7e564b55dd86455642fa976d11a808d14eb80b3e744e1
Message ID: <Pine.3.87.9402141726.A29570-0100000@crl.crl.com>
Reply To: <199402142133.NAA28895@mail.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-15 01:21:31 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 14 Feb 94 17:21:31 PST

Raw message

From: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 94 17:21:31 PST
To: qwerty-remailer@netcom.com
Subject: Re: Tracking Contacts with Clipper

C'punks,

On Mon, 14 Feb 1994 qwerty-remailer@netcom.com wrote:

> Sandy wrote,
> "Tim asked about "phone remailers" in one of his recent posts.  Until that
> happens, remember that the anonymous phone cards offered by AT&T and
> Western Union (and others) are almost as good.  This is especially true
> if you "chain" call through two or more different phone cards."
>
> Please post details of these. How do they charge you then? Must you use
> a phonebooth?
>
>  -=Xenon=-

What I was discussing are "pre-paid" calling cards.  You can buy Western
Union cards at any Western Union representative office.  AT&T cards are
available at AT&T Phone Stores.  Other brands are also available .  I
recently saw another such card being advertised in the camara section of Pay
Less Drugs.  I also mentioned another brand (Telekey) in one of my "Norman
French" articles in MONDO 2000 last year.  Their phone number is (800)
776-5424.

You buy them with cash.  They each represent a pre-set number of minutes
in an already established account.

They can be used from any phone, but since you have to call an 800 number
to use them, some record of your calling number may be captured by ANI
(Automatic Number Identification) and kept by the card company.

 S a n d y

Thread