1994-02-02 - SuperPing1.2

Header Data

From: nobody@qwerty.org
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 12b0e6d2317a2ed72795f099c878cdad048481f34d1f4095f9ceef6d1961a519
Message ID: <199402020651.WAA05123@mail.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 1 Feb 94 22:55:29 PST

Raw message

From: nobody@qwerty.org
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 94 22:55:29 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: SuperPing1.2

This may not be elegant, but it works well in my account. It checks
the entire Cypherpunk remailer network connections and is user friendly.

-Xenon

#!/usr/bin/perl
# Change this to reflect where your system has perl.

# SuperPing version 1.2: Ping Cyperpunk remailer connections.
# Now pings in both directions, as I have learned they are NOT equivalent.
# Brought to you by Xenon <na38138@anon.penet.fi>.
# Thanks to Alan Barrett for teaching me some perl.

# Warning: outputs ~40 e-mails at a time. May give "too many processes"
# error towards the end if you haven't killed all of your stopped jobs.
# Increase the sleep(sec) time if needed.

# Be careful. If mail bounces between any two remailers in either
# direction, "Mr. Remailer Operator" will obtain a full mailbox!

# To test the program, comment out all the remailers in the list and add
# YOUR address at least three times to the list of "remailers".

# You MUST make a file called .PingFile that contains:
#::
#Request-Remailing-To: your.address
#
#Ping!
#
#-----Begin Test-----
#Test
#-----End Test-----

# Will also function as a convenient method to shut down all remailers at
# once by making .PingFile 500K instead of 1K. Not recommended if you
# value your life ;-).

# List of remailers (not complete). Make any line a comment to remove that
# line's remailer. cicada and pmantis are not meant for heavy traffic so I
# have removed them. Soda is commented for no particular reason.

@Rm = (
"catalyst@netcom.com",
"remailer@dis.org",
"ebrandt@jarthur.claremont.edu",
"remailer@merde.dis.org",
"qwerty@netcom.com",
"elee7h5@rosebud.ee.uh.edu",
"hfinney@shell.portal.com",
#"hh@soda.berkeley.edu",
);

#Nicknames for output and subject lines.

@Nick = (
"catalyst",
"dis.org",
"jarthur",
"merde",
"qwerty",
"rosebud",
"shell",
#"soda",
);

# Select a marking character for this SuperPing session.
@Mark = ("A","B","C","D","E","F","G","H","I","J","K","L","M","N","O",
"P","Q","R","S","T","U","V","W","X","Y","Z");

srand(time);
$M = $Mark[rand(26)];

# Strings, since lines got too long below.
# Obviously this could be written better using sendmail but I'm writing
# perl code without KNOWING any perl.

  $A = "(echo \"::\" ; echo \"Request-Remailing-To: ";
  $B = " ; echo \"\" ; cat .PingFile) | mail -s \"$M.";

# Send a "Ping!" between all combinations of two remailers, in both
# directions. $Num is a count that ends up in the Subject line. Each number
# is used twice, with a < and > telling which direction the mail went. Change
# "system" to "print" to see the Unix commands being produced.

foreach $Sec (0..$#Rm) {
    foreach $First ($Sec+1..$#Rm) {
     $Num++ ;

     $C = " $Nick[$First] > $Nick[$Sec]\" " ;
     system "$A$Rm[$Sec]\"$B$Num$C$Rm[$First]";
     print "$M.$Num $Nick[$First] > $Nick[$Sec]\n";
     sleep(1) ;

     $C = " $Nick[$First] < $Nick[$Sec]\" " ;
     system "$A$Rm[$First]\"$B$Num$C$Rm[$Sec]";
     print "$M.$Num $Nick[$First] < $Nick[$Sec]\n";
     sleep(1) ;
   }
}

# Output (with only catalyst, qwerty and rosebud checked) looks like this:

# S.1 qwerty > catalyst
# S.1 qwerty < catalyst
# S.2 rosebud > catalyst
# S.2 rosebud < catalyst
# S.3 rosebud > qwerty
# S.3 rosebud < qwerty

# These are printed out as the program progresses and they also appear as
# the Subject of each piece of mail.

# alias g '(grep Subject: /usr/spool/mail/n/name | sort -t. +1 -n) | more'
# will make the command "g" give a list of received pings, in order. /n/name
# is your part of the mail spool. You should also check that the received
# pings really came from the second remailer instead of getting short
# circuited by the first remailer.

# Sample output mail as received by a remailer:
#
#From: Your name <your.address>
#To: qwerty@netcom.com
#Subject: S.1 qwerty > catalyst