1994-02-08 - Re: Atlantis Project/Oceania

Header Data

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 15e77b98649a903c9060f9bba948713d3ef13cb1fd9c9750475ae13e84e2740c
Message ID: <whJk6py00VB2MQgUYp@andrew.cmu.edu>
Reply To: <9402080217.AA23708@netmail.microsoft.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-08 03:10:42 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 7 Feb 94 19:10:42 PST

Raw message

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 94 19:10:42 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Atlantis Project/Oceania

Blanc Weber <blancw@microsoft.com> wrote:

> Does it not seem that they are putting more effort into the publicity,
> marketing, & attraction of money for support of this virtual country,
> than into the establishment of other fundamentals?  Like: setting up
> an alternative currency & banking system...

I thought that's what cypherpunks were supposed to be doing... :-)

> ... the manner of conducting business with the rest of the conventional
> world, and resolving the many little problems that would be of
> concern when living under such conditions?

All they said on the subject was that the government would be on the
gold standard and everyone else could use whatever currency they wanted.

As for the other little problems, I'd guess they haven't got a clue.
However, they did hire an architect who is experienced in building
floating structures, so I guess he's considered those things, ya know
like fresh water and electricity.  You could drop them an email and
ask...

Thread