1994-02-27 - Mailing list software losing posts

Header Data

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Message Hash: 254cabc53b3123f605a87254013123f7186b5c66471891181c505b1748108e4f
Message ID: <MhPzL6u00VAz0GxUgj@andrew.cmu.edu>
Raw Date: Sat, 26 Feb 94 17:22:59 PST

Raw message

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 94 17:22:59 PST

The list software seems to be having problems again.  I sent the below
post to the list three times, and it never got sent out.  But since
another post from me just showed up, maybe it's working now...  (Let me
know if you got more than one copy, because I sure didn't.)

-----

To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: lists of U.S. cypherpunks and Tentacles.
CC: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 1994 11:34:54 -0500 (EST)
From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>

mg5n+eaibiubkxb58z84cy2iaf9r61u26ra5x26mc0h@andrew.cmu.edu wrote:

> Please add me to your list. As you can see, I clearly have
> a US-based email address. :)

hehe...  This didn't come from my site tho.  It looks like a clever port
25 hack.  However, the return address is valid.

I suppose this points out another problem with the US export laws:  How
can you know where a message came from?  As the above example shows,
there is really no way to know where the person you're communicating
with is.  In other words, you can't not break the US export laws.  All
you have is someone's word that they are in the US or not, but you
really can't know for sure.  Something to mention in your letters to
Rep. Cantwell.

> -Ibiu

Cute...  using part of your encrypted address as a handle?  I never
thought of doing that... hmm...

Thread