1994-02-22 - MAIL: list

Header Data

From: nobody@rosebud.ee.uh.edu
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3455858299535f70959fab786945164d4178ef6da6d22ad0f633802e52f60181
Message ID: <9402222225.AA00369@toad.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 22 Feb 94 14:25:27 PST

Raw message

From: nobody@rosebud.ee.uh.edu
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 94 14:25:27 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: MAIL: list

Okay, here is an updated remailer list

* elee7h5@rosebud.ee.uh.edu has been renamed to
elee7h5x@rosebud.ee.uh.edu.  elee6ue@rosebud.ee.uh.edu has been
renamed to elee6uex@rosebud.ee.uh.edu.  Other that that both appear to
working just fine, but I took them out of the list since I think they
are on the edge of extinction ;-)

* barrus@tree.egr.uh.edu is also down for a bit.  That was an
experimental one which had offered different features and a different
command syntax than the others... I'll look at re-enabling it after
making some more changes.

* Matt's new remailer isn't listed here yet, since I think I'll change
the format of this file to somehow seperate out remailers which work
differently than Hal's standard, like Matt's and barrus@tree.

* Mark Briceno notified me that ftp to 129.82.156.104 for MAC remailer
tools seems to be gone.  I can't locate the programs that used to be
there anywhere else (pgpc22.tar.gz and .Z).

* I've gotten responses from anon@hacktic.nl, but it now appears to be
temporarily down, so I'll add it in again when it's back up.

Cypherpunk anonymous remailers, 2/22/94

Q1: What are the anonymous remailers?

A1:

 1: remailer@chaos.bsu.edu
 2: nowhere@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
 3: hh@soda.berkeley.edu
 4: hal@alumni.caltech.edu
 5: ebrandt@jarthur.claremont.edu
 6: catalyst@netcom.com
 7: remailer@rebma.mn.org
 8: hfinney@shell.portal.com
 9: remailer@utter.dis.org
10: remailer@entropy.linet.org
11: elee9sf@menudo.uh.edu
12: remail@extropia.wimsey.com

NOTES:

1-3		no encryption of remailing requests
4-12		support encrypted remailing requests
12		special - header and message must be encrypted together
7,9,10,12	introduce larger than average delay (not direct connect)
7,9,12		running on privately owned machines
11		supports RIPEM encryption, caches remailing requests
3		features USENET posting

Q2: What help is available?

A2:

Check out the pub/cypherpunks/remailer directory at soda.berkeley.edu
(128.32.149.19).

chain.zip             - program that helps with using remailers
dosbat.zip            - MSDOS batch files that help with using remailers
hal's.instructions.gz - in depth instruction on how to use
hal's.remailer.gz     - remailer code
pubkeys.tar.gz        - public keys of remailers which support encryption
pubkeys.zip           - MSDOS zip file of public keys
scripts.tar.gz        - scripts that help with using remailers

Or try the cypherpunks gopher site (chaos.bsu.edu) and look in
"Anonymous Mail" for instructions.

Mail to me (klbarrus@owlnet.rice.edu) for further help and/or questions.

Q3.  Email-to-Usenet gateways?

A3.

 1: group-name@cs.utexas.edu
 2: group.name.usenet@decwrl.dec.com
 3: group.name@news.demon.co.uk
 4: group.name@news.cs.indiana.edu
 5: group-name@pws.bull.com
 6: group-name@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

NOTES:

*  This does not include ones that work for single groups, like twwells.com.
*  Remember to include a Subject: with your post, may cause failures
   if missing
#6 blocks from non-berkeley sites (so use the berkeley remailers :-)

This is the remailer.data file I use with nestping, a script for
pinging anonymous remailers:

01:n:remailer@chaos.bsu.edu
02:n:nowhere@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
03:n:hh@soda.berkeley.edu