1994-02-01 - Archiving mail-lists…

Header Data

From: jazz@hal.com (Jason Zions)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 347d65ee27f4061c6e74b62ab0e650a1e328321bbe58a333a816a218a989dc12
Message ID: <9402011530.AA13741@jazz.hal.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 1 Feb 94 07:35:28 PST

Raw message

From: jazz@hal.com (Jason Zions)
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 94 07:35:28 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Archiving mail-lists...

   I would be interested in a discussion on the mail-list on this
   issue. Please refrain from sending personal mail. In particular do you
   think such a archive without every members permission is un-ethical?

Unethical, hell; illegal is closer to it. I retain the copyright to
everything I post; although implicit permission to redistribute to the
mailing list is granted when I send to cypherpunks@toad.com, I have granted
no permission to anyone else to use my intellectual property (i.e. my posts,
valuable or not) for any other purpose.

   Would a archivist necessarily need the permission of the mail-list
   sponser?

In an actively-moderated group (i.e. where the moderator chooses which
messages to forward, constructs digests, etc.) the moderator possesses a
copyright on the collection of material (but not on the material itself); if
you were republishing a substantial part of the collection (in your case,
all of it) you'd need rights to the collection copyright also.

Study copyright law (including the Berne Convention, to which most nations
having Usenet sites are signatories). Understand what you're getting
yourself into.

Jason

Thread