1994-02-05 - Remailer Tearline Variant

Header Data

From: garet.jax@nitelog.com (Garet Jax)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3cff1a885cf964bc68f85f81a65d7a17dbb29f4baa6951491234986f0415880a
Message ID: <cb.61665.10.0CD03BF5@nitelog.com>
Reply To: <9401312103.AA02297@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-05 19:15:40 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 5 Feb 94 11:15:40 PST

Raw message

From: garet.jax@nitelog.com (Garet Jax)
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 94 11:15:40 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Remailer Tearline Variant

Eli ebrandt@jarthur.claremont.edu said:
>Bill Stewart said:
>> Julf's anon.penet.fi remailer  cuts off anything resembling a signature,
>> using the convention that a -- line (or maybe an all-dash line?)
>> is a signature, since some of the common mail and news programs use that,

>Picking any fixed sig marker is likely to cause problems -- notice
>how often anon.penet.fi messages show up truncated due to a line of
>hyphens.  A more flexible possibility: allow an X-Sig-Marker: header,
>which specifies a pattern/regexp to strip after.  Actually, the
>sig marker line itself should be stripped as well, in case it
>contains identifying information.

>> formal and mimeish, or a simpler '--truncate here--' sort of line
>> that gets retained across remailing so additional junk doesn't accrete.

>I don't see the problem you're guarding against.  Could you explain?
>Seems that sig elision needs to be done once, by the first hop, and
>then you're home free.

Actually a variation on this '--truncate here--' scheme might solve the
user-selected multiple-remailer scheme that we're trying to get up here.
Place the 'truncate' or '::'  line at the beginning of your message,
just after the last local header line.  Then add routing instructions
for the remailer.  Then maybe another 'truncate' message followed by
more routing instructions for the next remailer chosen.  Then a blank
line and your message.

BEGIN example:

From: [me]
To: hh@cicada.berkeley.edu
Subject: Hi there!

::

Request-Remailing-To: hh@pmantis.berkeley.edu

::

Request-Remailing-To: elee7h5@rosebud.ee.uh.edu

::

Request-Remailing-To: cypherpunks@toad.com

Eli ebrandt@jarthur.claremont.edu said:
>Bill Stewart said:
>> Julf's anon.penet.fi remailer  cuts off anything resembling a signature,
>> using the convention that a -- line (or maybe an all-dash line?)
>> is a signature, since some of the common mail and news programs use that,

END example

Each remailer would only strip off the first 'Request-Remailing-To:'
instruction in the message.  The remailer would assume that anything
following that was part of the message, until it reached the signature,
which it would truncate.  Then it would remail the new 'message' as
requested.

Thread