1994-02-07 - DOJ procedures relating to Clipper Chips and key escrow

Header Data

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org>
To: IFREEDOM@SNOOPY.UCIS.DAL.CA (Forum on Censorship and Intellectual Freedom)
Message Hash: 477ebcf46c103126ef5b3abe30f40b59e4dcbef034584d057b270a8cda87b00d
Message ID: <199402071624.LAA27967@eff.org>
Raw Date: Mon, 7 Feb 94 08:26:26 PST

Raw message

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 94 08:26:26 PST
To: IFREEDOM@SNOOPY.UCIS.DAL.CA (Forum on Censorship and Intellectual Freedom)
Subject: DOJ procedures relating to Clipper Chips and key escrow

One of the interesting passages comes at the end of the DOJ memo
about obtaining Clipper keys pursuant to an interception:

"These procedures do not create, and are not intended to create,
any substantive rights for individuals intercepted through
electronic surveillance, and noncompliance with these procedures
shall not provide the basis for any motion to suppress or other
objection to the introduction of electronic surveillance evidence
lawfully acquired."

What this means, apparently, is that keys or communications obtained
through noncompliance with these procedures are nevertheless considered
to be "lawfully acquired." No suppression of evidence. No civil suit.

In other words, "if we break our rules, tough."

--Mike

Thread