1994-02-01 - Re: archiving on inet

Header Data

From: lefty@apple.com (Lefty)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 494a194b639f2422cdc4e6a0deba876bf5a081cb8fea55c32fce0d8f747b1dbe
Message ID: <9402012127.AA23182@internal.apple.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 1 Feb 94 13:35:40 PST

Raw message

From: lefty@apple.com (Lefty)
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 94 13:35:40 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: archiving on inet

>You too, have fallen into the same trap, as Master Knight, i.e.,  ad hominem
>attacks, unprovoked, launched merely because I disagree with you.

Please feel free to identify the "ad hominem attack" to which you're
referring.  I _have_ questioned your claim to be an attorney, largely
because I do not believe that anyone could manage to pass a bar exam while
being so utterly ignorant of the basest rudiments of copyright law.

>As to
>your arguments, no I don't think you have followed my logic at all, and I
>certainly cannot follow or agree with your assertions.

I found no logic in your postings.  This explains, I think, my inability to
follow it.  I suspect that there are other explanations for _your_
inability to follow, or respond to, _my_ assertions.

>My point is that
>the redistribution of usenet postings by  Netcom, my local bbs, me on my
>hard disk to others for pay or not, or by cd-rom are not different and it
>is just as legal for Netcom to charge me for providing me a usenet feed
>as it is legal for a cd-rom manufacturer to do the same, neither is
>paying us a dime nor are they obligated to do so.
>
>Personal use is not at all relevant.

No!?  How is it, then, that _I_ can copy a movie legally from HBO but I
can't legally sell the tape to you, eh?

>Netcom, Delphi are copying and providing usenet newsfeeds
>as a commercial service, without paying any royalties to the authors of
>the usenet postings. And we can all do the same and use any medium we
>want to  whether you or Master Knight like it or understand it.

None of which has anything, specifically, to do with copyright.

Do you understand the concept of "intellectual property" in the least?

Are you absolutely, positively, thoroughly _certain_ you're a lawyer?

(Hey, can I repost that private email you sent me?  I'm sure the list would
_love_ to see so deeply reasoned and clearly thought out an argument.
Besides, you don't believe that it's copyrighted, do you?)

--
Lefty (lefty@apple.com)

Thread