1994-02-25 - Re: Clipper Death Threat

Header Data

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org>
To: lyled@pentagon-emh9.army.mil (LYLE, DAVID R.)
Message Hash: 570f2139e624d5ac21ec6c79d4f4e38564b263a2e0d479c62a77e2634ae39f59
Message ID: <199402252130.QAA00965@eff.org>
Reply To: <2D6E9708@Pentagon-EMH9.army.mil>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-25 21:30:36 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 25 Feb 94 13:30:36 PST

Raw message

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 94 13:30:36 PST
To: lyled@pentagon-emh9.army.mil (LYLE, DAVID R.)
Subject: Re: Clipper Death Threat

David Lyle:

> Good question... what exactly is a "right"?  To me, a right is something
> that cannot be removed from any citizen.

In that case, we don't have any rights.

> I would like to see privacy as a
> right.  However, at what point do you draw the line?  When does privacy
> interfere with someone else's rights?

Try reading the cases.

> Freedom of speech has never been a right.  A lot of people think it is.  But
> go out on a street corner and try to incite a riot.  See what happens.  Or
> threaten someone.  Or commit treason.  Speech is not a right.

You are defining "right" differently from the way it is defined in the
Constitution and elsewhere.

Now that I understand you to be using the word in a special, personal way,
I see no need to discuss it further on this list or elsewhere.

--Mike

Thread