1994-02-10 - Re: Oh No! Nazis on the Nets

Header Data

From: danisch@ira.uka.de (Hadmut Danisch)
To: m5@vail.tivoli.com
Message Hash: 6397d1e2c5ecab2fa49b77c71d5af064ad8e3c5f6bfe288b7f6aa94ac207be61
Message ID: <9402102226.AA09203@deathstar.iaks.ira.uka.de>
Raw Date: Thu, 10 Feb 94 14:30:22 PST

Raw message

From: danisch@ira.uka.de (Hadmut Danisch)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 94 14:30:22 PST
To: m5@vail.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Oh No! Nazis on the Nets

Mike McNally writes:

> Really?  So your only defense against ideas you don't like is to make
> the dissemination of the ideas illegal?  Clearly there are values you
> rate higher than press freedom.  (That's not necessarily bad, though I
> personally don't like it.)

I never said this. Why do you think it is the only defense?
Why do you all mix ideas with calls for killing people?
Isn't it a difference whether I publish an idea or whether
I pray killing people? Is this allowed in your country?

You all seem to have a nice patent for defense against
Nazis. Why don't you tell/sell us this patent? It could
be very helpfull.

Don't you believe that we are interested in a free press?
Don't you believe that we want to fight against Naziism?
How do you fight against your Nazis?

> Sorry, but if you have to go to some office and ensure them you're
> following the "rules of newspapers" or whatever, then that statement
> is incorrect.

Arrrrrghl!  Stop this stupid tale! Do you want to play silly games
with me? Who did you tell that you have to go to any office in germany?

> I can this instant decide to print out thousands of
> copies of whatever I want, drive down to some public area, and start
> handing out my documents (or charging for them), all without a visit
> to a government office.  That's not illegal.  Only "pornographic"
> material is inherently illegal to distribute .

Exactly the same as in Germany! Many people do this! We printed papers
at the school, we print papers at the university, we do it everywhere.
Print anything with your computer, go to the next copy-machine. Print
as much as you can pay and carry and give it to everyone you want. It
happens nearly every day. When I began to study at this university I
got my half bag full of papers in the mensa every day. Meanwhile they
are printing less because noone reads them all, you can't read them
all, they are too many. At the first day at this university I got
invitations from two groups of homosexual groups, one invitiation of
the lesbians group, about 20 invitations of political groups and
a lot of paper I didn't even look at.

>  > Seen from Germany, american presidents elections look like a mixture
>  > of a football game and a tv show.
>
> What does that have to do with press freedoms?

What is the use of press freedom if the press doesn't use it?

> Actually, we don't see much about German elections; there's not enough
> airtime between the football games and TV shows.

I'm sure you don't see much about Germany at all. Where did you get
all those stories?

> So can I in the US---today.  The problems spring up when I try to
> export what I write.

Is this what you call press freedom?

Hadmut

Thread