1994-02-08 - Re: Atlantis Project/Oceania

Header Data

From: Chris Knight <cknight@crl.com>
To: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Message Hash: 69a7f8acde45cbf393bb353441ee43b3cbdaffe524500e180c3276571bc61f10
Message ID: <Pine.3.87.9402071927.A1918-0100000@crl2.crl.com>
Reply To: <ohJiwNG00VB7QvUUVJ@andrew.cmu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-08 03:06:32 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 7 Feb 94 19:06:32 PST

Raw message

From: Chris Knight <cknight@crl.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 94 19:06:32 PST
To: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: Atlantis Project/Oceania

On Mon, 7 Feb 1994, Matthew J Ghio wrote:

> I was just wondering what sort of business one might engage in in
> Oceania?  Cryptographic software is a possibility, but I wonder how much
> revenue that might bring in.  A electronic bank would probably be a more
> profitable venture, but getting a high bandwidth net connection in the
> middle of the ocean would increase startup costs.  Telecom, electricity,
> and water supply would probably be good businesses...but they require a
> local market that would be fairly small in the startup country.  There
> is also international shipping and trade, but there you have large
> startup costs and would need to do extensive work to get clients.  And
> there is tourism...gambling, recreational drugs, etc....

Have you read "Oath of Fealty" by Larry Niven?  Check it out, it's a good
sci-fi that outlines just this kind of project.  And please, read the
tribute in the front...

-ck

Thread