1994-02-05 - Re: Running regularly

Header Data

From: Matthew Bernardini <matthew@gandalf.rutgers.edu>
To: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Message Hash: 6ca0cae00c213e46754d8cabb8068b54578cf49f3150ecfd7f1060dc41832659
Message ID: <CMM-RU.1.3.760406745.matthew@gandalf.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Fri, 4 Feb 94 16:09:57 PST

Raw message

From: Matthew Bernardini <matthew@gandalf.rutgers.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 94 16:09:57 PST
To: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: Running regularly

> Matthew Bernardini <matthew@gandalf.rutgers.edu> wrote:
>
> > Why not make two shell scripts, one that sleeps for so long (say 20 minutes)
> > using the unix sleep command, and then calls the remailer scripts in an
> > infinite while loop.  This would work if you set it up as a background
> > process,and you don't need to be root for it to work.  Only downsides are
> > that when the machine crashes you have to log back in and restart script,
> > your sleep command will always be in the top window if your sys-admin
> > is watching, and you have to be careful not to spawn to many processes and
> > bring the system down.
>
> I tried this on the system here, but it killed off the process when I
> logged off.
>
> As for starting too many processes, just don't start them...  leave it
> as one single process that just repeats itself indefinently with sleeps
> in between.

Did the processes get killed BECAUSE you logged off ?
Or did they get killed because you left a single process runnning in the
background for an extended period of time and an automated script killed the
job.  Why not ask the sysadmin how to setup a long computational job for a
couple of days ?  I don't think any sysadmin would have a problem with that.
Then you could find out if the jobs are killed automatically somehow.

If it turns out that it was just the process that was automatically killed
on a time interval, then you could easily write a script that would spawn a
new process and then kill the parent.

Matt

Thread