1994-02-02 - Re: digital signatures/copyright

Header Data

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org>
To: talon57@well.sf.ca.us (Brian D Williams)
Message Hash: 6ebffbac3a72c050d4a51788db0e6b7a79985a8a15dc51cf1a5f1a571cfd484d
Message ID: <199402021924.OAA23853@eff.org>
Reply To: <199402021858.KAA17982@well.sf.ca.us>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-02 19:25:33 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 2 Feb 94 11:25:33 PST

Raw message

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 94 11:25:33 PST
To: talon57@well.sf.ca.us (Brian D Williams)
Subject: Re: digital signatures/copyright

>  A question for Mike Godwin and other attorneys on the list:
>
>  Could one make a case that the use of Digital signatures in
> messages imply's copyright retention by the author?

I suppose one could, but, really, there's no issue of "copyright
retention" out there. Post something to the Net, and it's copyrighted, and
you hold the copyright. Doesn't matter whether you've digsigged it or not.

>  Does digital signature=copyright or is it at least equivalent?

No.

--Mike

Thread