1994-02-10 - Meeting Ramblings

Header Data

From: “Robert A. Hayden” <hayden@krypton.mankato.msus.edu>
Message Hash: 7c7ef0feb5ba832d6c527e040ed0d2aee975e57300fbf1506f06685a1164164b
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9402101504.A26284-0100000@krypton.mankato.msus.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 10 Feb 94 13:37:19 PST

Raw message

From: "Robert A. Hayden" <hayden@krypton.mankato.msus.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 94 13:37:19 PST
Subject: Meeting Ramblings

Just thought I'd take a few minutes to off some comments on the virtual
meeting on 2/9.

1)  Agenda
        There was a problem in that, while the topic of the hall was set,
        imeediately everyone launched into every other concern they had as
        well.  This led to a total confusion that eventually splintered
        the participants.

        I think that next time, there should be a set agenda, with a time
        limit for each subject.  For example

        10:00 - 10:25   Issues of Copyright on Usenet
        10:30 - 10:55   Remailers
        11:00 - 11:25   Anonimity on the Net
        11:30 - 11:55   DigiCash

        Thus, at 10:00, there would be a topic, at 10:25, the topic is
        wound down (either moving to another location or finishing) and
        people gear up for a topic change.  That way, if I had no
        interest in copyright, I could wait until 10:30 to sign on.

        In the meantime, if people want to talk about something other
        than the main topic, they can amble off to their own room.
        (perhaps build some 'meeting rooms' off of the main hall, and
        people can go in there, set the topic of the room and talk about
        that, while the main hall has the main topic)

2)  Speaking

        The idea of there being four people speaking at one time is good,
        but there was a problem of people getting a speaker position and
        refusing to yield, thus people never moved up the queue.  This is
        bad.  Perhaps auto-yields after 2 'says' (in case you munged the
        first) would help.

Hmm, now that I think about it, I guess that's about all.

I really think the meeting was a good idea, and I hope it happens again
real soon.  Just a little more organizing would have been more helpful.

Thanks to all who did this :-)

____        Robert A. Hayden          <=> hayden@krypton.mankato.msus.edu
 \/  /   Finger for Geek Code Info    <=> In the United States, they
   \/  Finger for PGP 2.3a Public Key <=> first came for us in Colorado...
(GEEK CODE 1.0.1)  GAT d- -p+(---) c++(++++) l++ u++ e+/* m++(*)@ s-/++

Thread