1994-02-23 - RATINGS: say what?

Header Data

From: Panzer Boy <panzer@dhp.com>
Message Hash: 7ead9443ee46141d07fc09d4d7803dc8f35ae54856f96e74467a20eb8ca3c7e6
Message ID: <Pine.3.87.9402221846.A28711-0100000@dhp.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 22 Feb 94 16:02:48 PST

Raw message

From: Panzer Boy <panzer@dhp.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 94 16:02:48 PST
Subject: RATINGS: say what?

Ok a few things.  To help me, and possibly others, understand this.

(Replace the word "YOU", with your name if you think you understand the
rating system...)
You want two lists: (of sorts)
  1.  Current list, as is, anything in -> everyone out.
  2.  Rated List, anything in -> filtering/rating -> out.

Now my question is, who's going to spend the time dealing with this.  And
how are you going to disallow stuffing the ballot, as we all know about
spoofing.  And who's actually going to spend the time wading through all
the Cypherpunk mail, and rating it all?

Are you planning on letter the general readers of "list 1" rate articles,
and then people who subscribe to "list 2" will get anything that passes a
certain "rating level" (or other criteria)?

Are we looking for something that you run the articles through, and it
will spit out a "reading level" like most PC word-processors.  Then you
could ask for just the articles that have <15 misspellings, and a reading
level above 11th grade...

Pardon me if this isn't quite what some people seem to have in mind, but
this just looks like electronic version of filling out forms in
triplicate.

 -Matt
 (panzer@dhp.com)
 "That which can never be enforced should not be prohibited."

Thread