1994-02-23 - Clipper is voluntary? Hah!

Header Data

From: Sam Shipman <ses@osf.org>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 815f4e1773d04dbb249ab1210b3f8cf2b534ab9ad623e090b2cd50fa18c1603b
Message ID: <9402232255.AA15899@postman.osf.org>
Raw Date: Wed, 23 Feb 94 14:55:56 PST

Raw message

From: Sam Shipman <ses@osf.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 94 14:55:56 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Clipper is voluntary?  Hah!

I was just mulling over the assertion that Clipper would be a
"voluntary" standard, and I thought of an analogy.  At best (i.e.,
assuming the Government's not lying, which is sort of like assuming
smoking doesn't cause lung cancer), Clipper would be a voluntary
standard in much the same sense that VHS videocassettes are now a
voluntary standard.  If you don't like it, you can always get Beta.
Of course, good luck renting videos, exchanging tapes with your
friends, buying blank tapes, etc.

Note: I haven't read everything about this controversy that's come
across this list, so if it turns out that I've independently
reinvented this, then sorry for wasting your time.

Sam Shipman
  speaking only for myself, as usual
   (nobody else will)

Thread