1994-02-01 - Re: Archiving mail-lists…

Header Data

From: Jim choate <ravage@wixer.bga.com>
To: jazz@hal.com (Jason Zions)
Message Hash: 81b04a5be2116ade69e3f50e6fe9e304d36a7f612c75aa2f2303e371c973a138
Message ID: <9402011744.AA06092@wixer>
Reply To: <9402011704.AA13796@jazz.hal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-01 18:00:34 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 1 Feb 94 10:00:34 PST

Raw message

From: Jim choate <ravage@wixer.bga.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 94 10:00:34 PST
To: jazz@hal.com (Jason Zions)
Subject: Re: Archiving mail-lists...

> Alan -
>
>   - Not at all clear that Berne applies to electronic mail, even of a
>     personal nature
>
> Copyright exists from the moment the work is set down in concrete form. Are
> you arguing that email is not concrete?
>
>    - Not at all clear that postings to a publicly-read list like this
>      are not equivalent to speech in a public place (ie not necessarily
>      copyrighted)
>
> Ah. The old "if the NFL has to remind us that its broadcast of the superbowl
> is copyrighted, so do you" argument.
>
> Okay, let's try this on for size.
>
> Copyright 1994 Jason Zions. Permission to copy and transmit for the purpose
> of propagation of the Cypherpunks mailing list in email or local-newsgroup
> (usenet) forms is granted; all other rights are reserved.
>
>    - Not at all clear what the status of private communications is vis
>      a vis publication.
>
> But this isn't private communication.
>
>    You can't just wave your hand and say the magic word "Berne" and thereby
>    prevent someone from archiving, reposting etc your messages to this list.
>
> Law is a complex thing, isn't it. I'd better go back and reread the code and
> current decisions. I'm spending more of my time tracking the CompuServe MIDI
> copyright actions, though.
>
> Jason

I have to admit that I have broken your fair use copyright notice
inadvertantly.

I have stored an image of your message in the ram on my system which is not a
part of inet or usenet nor involved in any way with the transmission to other
nodes of such stored material.

Berne works great for paper, audio recordings, movies, etc. It does not work
for networked information transmission.

Thread