1994-02-01 - Re: archiving on inet

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: sfi@verity.com (Stefan Fielding-Isaacs)
Message Hash: a1526a01a7a468d9cf7fdb17e0e20ee98279f19c81151534cfbbd459873f9bee
Message ID: <199402012303.SAA03443@snark>
Reply To: <9402012220.AA24439@verity.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-01 23:05:29 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 1 Feb 94 15:05:29 PST

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 94 15:05:29 PST
To: sfi@verity.com (Stefan Fielding-Isaacs)
Subject: Re: archiving on inet

Stefan Fielding-Isaacs says:
>  I believe this is completely fallacious. Simply because I don't include
>  a copyright statement _does not_ mean that my material is not copyrighted
>  (look it up).

It does change the nature of the damages you can claim and the nature
of the process by which you prove copyright, as does registration of
the material.

>  Secondly, the issue at hand is not so much redistribution (I think that
>  can be resolved by attribution) but rather that the redistribution was
>  done for profit. I think that is where you can be hanged (metaphorically
>  speaking).

Redistribution of netnews is already done for profit, or haven't you
heard of uunet?

Perry

Thread