1994-02-08 - Re: Atlantis Project/Oceania

Header Data

From: Oliver Seiler <oseiler@unixg.ubc.ca>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a76ac353ec9d3a5830a552129af364c0cd130a18b77bd20d886c7cc420bd6c23
Message ID: <Pine.3.05.9402072153.D9851-b100000@unixg.ubc.ca>
Reply To: <9402080248.AA14992@vangogh.VIS.ColoState.EDU>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-08 05:56:33 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 7 Feb 94 21:56:33 PST

Raw message

From: Oliver Seiler <oseiler@unixg.ubc.ca>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 94 21:56:33 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Atlantis Project/Oceania

On Mon, 7 Feb 1994, CVL staff member Nate Sammons wrote:

> writes Matthew J Ghio:
> >
> >profitable venture, but getting a high bandwidth net connection in the
> >middle of the ocean would increase startup costs.  Telecom, electricity,
>
> Well, a satellite dish can transfer around 100MB (megaBytes, not bits)
> per second.  I'm not too sure how much this kind of link costs, but I
> would also assume that the Oceania people aren't going to go without a
> network conection to start.

As soon as it's built, I would move in with a business offering just
this sort of connectivity. If I can swing the capital at the time
(probably not too hard) I'd also lay down swaths of fibre, set up
a packet radio network, and connect the island up...

> -nate

-Oliver

| Oliver Seiler          + Erisian Development Group +  Amiga Developer  +
| oseiler@unixg.ubc.ca   +-------------Reality by the Slice--------------+
| oseiler@nyx.cs.du.edu  | Phone: (604) 683-5364     Fax: (604) 683-6142 |
| ollie@BIX.com          | POB 3547, MPO, Vancouver, BC, CANADA  V6B 3Y6 |

Thread