1994-02-24 - Cocaine Inhalers Anonymous and Spooks

Header Data

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: aa9be2815cdca690c5b3dc08a1b70ed9fd7e606e2e29889b63675eeac0b501e0
Message ID: <199402241816.KAA19323@mail.netcom.com>
Reply To: <199402241448.GAA17814@well.sf.ca.us>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-24 18:15:37 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 24 Feb 94 10:15:37 PST

Raw message

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 94 10:15:37 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Cocaine Inhalers Anonymous and Spooks

Brad Dolan writes:

> It's time to leave when...
> ... I can't say what I want.
> ... I can't own a gun.
> ... I can't use good crypto.
> ... I can't leave and enter the U.S. freely.

It's getting closer to this situation in all areas. Entering and
leaving freely is still solid, but talk of checking tax status on both
ends implies this may be lessened. (Don't forget that the main way the
Jews in the USSR were denied exit visas was an argument that they had
not "fulfilled their obligations to the country," that is, that they
had not paid enough taxes.)

Computerized dossiers will make it much easier to check all kinds of
such details on both entering and exiting folks.

> Somewhat related:  Does anybody find it interesting that no one noted
> for over a decade that Ames had (1) a lavish lifestyle and (2) a foreign-born
> (Colombian!)  wife.  Normally, spooks aren't allowed either.

In the Ames case, he explained away his Columbian wife and his lavish
lifestyle by telling coworkers she was involved in the CIA's cocaine
business, shipping coke into the Mena, Arkansas airfield with the
blessings of Governor Bill Clinton and Cocaine Inhalers Anonymous. His
coworkers just congratulated him and asked how they could find a
similar deal.

(For the humor-impaired, fearing disinformation, this is only partly true.)

For the cynics, note the *timing* of the announcement on Tuesday. The
Feds have known about Ames for at least 2 years, they claim, and
Clinton was briefed 10 months ago on the charges. And complete media
packet were available at the time of the announcement on Tuesday.

So why the exact timing? Why now?

Probably to derail the Russian peace initiative in Bosnia. To
embarrass Yeltsin. To cause an orgy of Russia-bashing, even though
Russia's great sin was recruiting a mole in the CIA who ratted on the
American mole in the KGB!

And we can't have the Russians sending peace-keeping troops into
Bosnia...that's America's right! Hence, the announcement at this
particular time.

Sleazy? What else would you expect?

--Tim May

tcmay@netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero