1994-02-16 - Re: ITAR vs. Diffie-Hellman Key Exchange?

Header Data

From: Brad Huntting <huntting@glarp.com>
To: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com
Message Hash: ab27014062762b7b6afadc9c3d17ddcb45da9614bf85eceb74e133f6b04e9e6d
Message ID: <199402162106.AA06236@misc.glarp.com>
Reply To: <9402160417.AA09448@anchor.ho.att.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-16 21:10:26 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 16 Feb 94 13:10:26 PST

Raw message

From: Brad Huntting <huntting@glarp.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 94 13:10:26 PST
To: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com
Subject: Re: ITAR vs. Diffie-Hellman Key Exchange?

> However, is Diffie-Hellman exportable?   After all, it's not crypto,
> it's *just* key exchange, and people can plug in their own triple-DES
> from the usual sources.  It looks to me like it's probably legal,
> though if you were to then transmit the password by XORing with the login
> key or some such probably-unsafe behaviour it might not be.

I think the export restrictions refer to "secret messaging".  DH
creates a shared secret.  I doubt it can be exported.

brad

Thread