1994-02-12 - Re: Strategies for getting encryption in widespread use QUICKLY

Header Data

From: “Pat Farrell” <pfarrell@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: bed335d1ef0e21fda1e62b8d870cf30e2c8997365e7e4c050f291f0d4b44d003
Message ID: <51623.pfarrell@netcom.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 12 Feb 94 11:25:31 PST

Raw message

From: "Pat Farrell" <pfarrell@netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 94 11:25:31 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Strategies for getting encryption in widespread use QUICKLY

In message Sat, 12 Feb 94 11:11:09 MST,
  Bryan Ford <baford@schirf.cs.utah.edu>  writes:

> This is another good application, but I think it suffers from the same
> problem as encrypted E-mail messages: as long as it's even a little
> less convenient than no encryption, most people just won't care enough
> to use it.

I agree completely with this. we have to move encryption onto the desktop
PCs and Macs, and make it transparent to the naive users. Eudora and NUpop
are a good start, but aren't transparent when you use PGP or ViaPGP.

I've written a non-TCP/IP Windows POP/SMTP client that will work with
commercial providers such as Netcom and Digex, but I can't get the low
level communications code to work - Window's comm.drv API is too flakey for
me to understand and get working.

I believe that my code is less than a week or two from being ready to
distrubute, if I can get some help with the communications code.
I asked a few months ago, and had one volunteer who didn't deliver.

I'd love to find a cypherpunk willing to work with me to provide some sorely
needed enabling technology.

Pat

Pat Farrell      Grad Student                 pfarrell@gmu.edu
Department of Computer Science    George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
Public key availble via finger          #include <standard.disclaimer>

Thread