1994-02-11 - re. Denning’s Clipper defense (15.48)

Header Data

From: Carl Ellison <cme@sw.stratus.com>
To: risks@csl.sri.com
Message Hash: bf7876af770683cb34d2f66d58d6d6fcdcd8ae1fec5057e30d31894f81c0f2ce
Message ID: <199402110033.TAA21173@ellisun.sw.stratus.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 10 Feb 94 16:40:26 PST

Raw message

From: Carl Ellison <cme@sw.stratus.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 94 16:40:26 PST
To: risks@csl.sri.com
Subject: re. Denning's Clipper defense (15.48)

Prof. Denning has issued a defense of the Clipper proposal (which she
advocated in a CACM article long before the initiative was announced).  Her
specifics are easy enough to refute and I'm sure others will do so.
However, she closes with an idea so radical that it shocked me.

Her idea that we citizens need a security clearance in order to enter the
debate over whether or not we should give up a right we've had for all time
(to make, use, disseminate, ..., our own strong cryptography, interfering
with the government's ability to spy on us) is so radically off base that
the technical debate pales by comparison.

My grade school social studies teacher is doubtless spinning in her grave.
On this point, I would like to hear from newly freed members of the Eastern
block.

 - Carl Ellison

Thread