1994-02-01 - Re: Archiving mail-lists…

Header Data

From: Chris Knight <cknight@crl.com>
To: Jim choate <ravage@wixer.bga.com>
Message Hash: c1efc4d9081e7c47cf808677bd17fb7ae2059e95051c0e211440d2c00e0e2e3e
Message ID: <Pine.3.87.9402011155.A18730-0100000@crl.crl.com>
Reply To: <9402011727.AA04285@wixer>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-01 19:25:29 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 1 Feb 94 11:25:29 PST

Raw message

From: Chris Knight <cknight@crl.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 94 11:25:29 PST
To: Jim choate <ravage@wixer.bga.com>
Subject: Re: Archiving mail-lists...

On Tue, 1 Feb 1994, Jim choate wrote:

> It is no more illegal (at the present time) for me to store your posting to
> every usenet or inet service that I have access to on my hard-drive or a CD-
> Rom for re-sale than it is for you to store my posting on your drive or print
> it out to the printer.

I think the question of storage goes beyond copyright law.  I have yet to
find someone who lost a suit for owning a copy of a magazine.  But since
you feel the way you do about CDs, why don't you scan in a couple of
issues of Life magazine, master it, and try to sell it?  Do they supply
Inet feeds in prison?

> When I got my account I did not sign any kind of agreement relating to me
> retaining my rights to any material I chose to place on the net for
> dissimenation to others.

Have you ever published an article in say a not-for profit journal?  Just
because you don't sine a contract guaranteeing your rights DOES NOT mean
you have given them up!

There IS an implied motivation to put that material

> If you are serious about your view then please forward a money order for
> $1000 dollars for having my original post stored on whatever medium you used
> to reply to it.

Now that you have set your rate, I set mine.  Please remit your check of
$10,000....  I think this is getting a bit carried away.  Copyright cases
generally relate to the sale or use of material belonging to an author.
As I said above, I have never heard of a case where someone lost a suit
for posessing a 1942 issue of Life magazine.

-ck

The material in this message composed by me, lines NOT preceeded by the
">", is expressly copyrighted as the posession of Chris Knight.  You may
use.  Any attempt to sell this material either alone, or as part of an
archive will be met by me, at you backdoor, late at night, with a chaninsaw.
I have the DOOM cheats!  I am invincible!   ;>

p.s.  The above bit of humor is copyrighted 1994, cmk.

Thread