1994-02-01 - Re: archiving on inet

Header Data

From: lefty@apple.com (Lefty)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d7f1336ad9f2406f46ebedb85b107316a6e98ddaa48d599ae6d423d2388c83fb
Message ID: <9402011838.AA12820@federal-excess.apple.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 1 Feb 94 10:45:27 PST

Raw message

From: lefty@apple.com (Lefty)
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 94 10:45:27 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: archiving on inet

Kirk Sheppard asks

>Finally what is the tangible difference between storing usenet postings
>on a hard disk for an indefinite time, or on a cd-rom, or a cd that is
>re-writable, or tape or any other storage device? Not very much I would
>argue.

I don't believe that _storage_ is the issue at all.  If I purchase a copy
of a book, I don't believe that I'm violating copyright by making an
archival copy of it _for_ _my_ _own_ _use_.

If I start distributing or selling copies to other people, however, that's
a different matter.

--
Lefty (lefty@apple.com)

Thread