1994-02-25 - Infomercials, FUD… time?

Header Data

From: “Kragen J. Sittler” <TO1SITTLER@APSICC.APS.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e2136dde51e95bd11bf3a82c9700de936951c1e45e8865b4191592ece3481aeb
Message ID: <940224195739.cdc8@APSICC.APS.EDU>
Raw Date: Thu, 24 Feb 94 18:59:26 PST

Raw message

From: "Kragen J. Sittler" <TO1SITTLER@APSICC.APS.EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 94 18:59:26 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Infomercials, FUD... time?

Despite all our word-of-mouth and -of-net efforts, the general public knows
little or nothing about the Clipper issue.  Perhaps it's time to let them
know what's going on... not in an article buried on the third page (?) of the
New York Times, not in an article on page 30 of Time Magazine, but in some
way which lets them know the real facts.

I suggest that we air an infomercial, or series thereof, urging the citizens
of the US to protest.  Phone calls to religious groups, special-interest
newsletters, and even mainstream newscasters would also be a help.

Most of us cypherpunks have little income.  A few, such as Winston Timothy
C. May, have enough for an infomercial or two.  But there is supposedly an
industry coalition headed by Novell to oppose Clipper.  Is there anyone here
who can successfully solicit these companies for money?

I don't know enough details to do this.  I don't know the cost of a half-hour
infomercial on a national network at 11:00 at night.  But I know it can be
bought.

I don't know which companies are involved in the coalition.  Nor do I know
how committed they are.  But I suspect we could raise enough money... and we
do have a number of experienced public speakers and broadcasters among us.

If the public knows the facts, just the known, confirmed facts, many of them
will be outraged.  The response that a single half-hour infomercial could
produce in a nation of 260 million would make the puny tens of thousands of
votes on the CPSR petition look insignificant... as indeed they are.

C'mon folks... what's stopping us?

Kragen

Thread