1994-02-23 - RE: the black budget

Header Data

From: Blanc Weber <blancw@microsoft.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e2bd037a78015d490b80a9d7ae5b0ba2c0157eb7b4fdd06a102d5365f8819ded
Message ID: <9402230402.AA05518@netmail2.microsoft.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 22 Feb 94 20:02:00 PST

Raw message

From: Blanc Weber <blancw@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 94 20:02:00 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: the black budget

The statement someone earlier made (I don't remember by who) that "The
black budget is taxation without representation.", could be restated to
indicate that it is taxation without *true* representation, for all the
reasons that many subscribers to this list would already be aware of
(if there was true representation, there would be some rather
anarchistic congressmen & IRS agents in office).

Which reminds me -   "In Space, No One Can Hear You Scream".
(In the space between some people's ears, that is.)
In the best circumstances, open & honest speaking would be more
profitably addressed to an audience possessed of an active intelligence
that is interested in knowing & comprehending the actual & its consequences.
I didn't see, in Tim's reply to my question about the spreading of
"disinformation", where what he relates represents that (perhaps
because I'm not very knowedgable regarding some of the 'facts'
mentioned);  it actually seems to me to be an unfortunate label to
apply to all of these efforts, since they are offered in a concern for,
and in consideration of, the consequences to everyone's personal
interest - privacy.  Whether the picture is "blown up" to appear to be
worse than it looks, presently, seems moot, since it should be easy to
imagine what could happen in the future even if these invasive plans
are not yet in effect; i.e., just what such a scenario purports for the
situation here in the US and everywhere else.  The future truth could
be more fearsome than any present, alarming fictionalization.  (But,
then, I'm prepared to imagine.)

Blanc

Thread