1994-02-11 - Re: Oh No! Nazis on the Nets

Header Data

From: “Jon ‘Iain’ Boone” <boone@psc.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: edc806270a9df9cf92eb9497bc24120a999d13296f31d5b26b7b4b71edf8ec89
Message ID: <9402111354.AA08434@igi.psc.edu>
Reply To: <199402102247.RAA20412@snark>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-11 14:17:47 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 11 Feb 94 06:17:47 PST

Raw message

From: "Jon 'Iain' Boone" <boone@psc.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 94 06:17:47 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Oh No! Nazis on the Nets

"Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>  writes:

> Hadmut Danisch says:
> >
> > Whether *everyone* has the right to produce a newspaper and
> > whether you can print *everything* into a newspaper, are two different
> > things.
>
> Ultimately they aren't.
>
> > Can we allow to print everything into a newspaper? No, not
> > everything.
>
> In the U.S., I can print everything in a newspaper. The only exception
> that has any significance is that if I print a story that deliberately
> (note the word deliberately) lies about someone with intent to cause
> them harm, they can sue me. However, the government cannot in and of
> itself intervene in the content of newspapers.

  That's simply not true, Perry.  The government *has* intervened a number
  of times.  Read Bruce Sterling's recent book -- he cites the example of
  how a magazine in th late-70's or early-80's printed John Draper's
  schematics on how to use a blue box to rip off AT&T.  AT&T sued, and won.
  The magazine was pulled...

> Indeed, but this is in contrast to the U.S., where you are allowed to
> say anything you like.

  Nope, you're not.  You're allowed to say most things...

 Jon Boone | PSC Networking | boone@psc.edu | (412) 268-6959 | PGP Key # B75699
 PGP Public Key fingerprint =  23 59 EC 91 47 A6 E3 92  9E A8 96 6A D9 27 C9 6C

Thread