1994-02-16 - Re: ITAR vs. Diffie-Hellman Key Exchange?

Header Data

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
To: bill.stewart@pleasantonca.ncr.com)
Message Hash: f41fc110bcf44e09fe535d6ed991904832cfbd0dfb92026747dcbef68e13021a
Message ID: <9402160516.AA07695@toxicwaste.media.mit.edu>
Reply To: <9402160417.AA09448@anchor.ho.att.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-16 05:24:54 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 21:24:54 PST

Raw message

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 21:24:54 PST
To: bill.stewart@pleasantonca.ncr.com)
Subject: Re: ITAR vs. Diffie-Hellman Key Exchange?

Full Kerberos, with DES, *is* available outside the US.  The US allows
export of cryptographic *binaries* for authentication purposes.  For
example, it is possible to get DECathena, which contains Kerberos with
DES, which is compatible with MIT Kerberos.  It even contains
libraries, but not the functions to encrypt data for privacy, just
enough to create checksummed messages.  Its just that the SOURCE code
is not available, but it is fairly simple to generate an exportable
binary suite.

I doubt DH is exportable, since it is key exchange, which in general
is not exportable.  Jim, care to comment?

Yes, there is a version of RSAREF w/ DH included (I have a beta-test
version, although I haven't played with it a lot).  I don't know when
this will be released to the world.

-derek

Thread