1994-03-19 - Re: Locating Color Copiers

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: Jeremiah A Blatz <darklord+@cmu.edu>
Message Hash: 02a047e8b71dab7ea6aa14ffc3366b40950c85f52565342e96d76977e9aef5b0
Message ID: <9403191527.AA27426@andria.lehman.com>
Reply To: <8hWXtJ600WBM8_Hwgl@andrew.cmu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-03-19 15:28:03 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 19 Mar 94 07:28:03 PST

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 94 07:28:03 PST
To: Jeremiah A Blatz <darklord+@cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: Locating Color Copiers

Jeremiah A Blatz says:
> Re: passing bills
> Okay, so the 10's and 20's have little mylar strips on them.
> You can't copy old bills, because they get wrinkles, and, anyway, if
> someone handed me a crisp, new 1983 $20 I'd get a bit suspicious.

And why is that, Mr. Blatz?

Every bill in my wallet is crisp and new. Crisp new bills are favored
by banks for their bank machines, and virtually every bill other than
$1 and $5s in circulation here in New York was spit out by a bank
machine.

People on this list are remarkably insular -- everyone here seems to
think "the way it is in my town is the way it is everywhere".

In some places in this country, $20s are extremely common and all of
them are clean and well pressed. In some places this is not the case.
Don't assume your local conditions hold everywhere.

Now can we get back to cryptography?

.pm

Thread