1994-03-31 - Data on clipper phones

Header Data

From: koontzd@lrcs.loral.com (David Koontz )
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 048c45343f9cdb41c59395b57f22ec6de2af38d42f460695bad977d5aa015fb4
Message ID: <9403312111.AA19122@io.lrcs.loral.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 31 Mar 94 12:52:31 PST

Raw message

From: koontzd@lrcs.loral.com (David Koontz )
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 94 12:52:31 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Data on clipper phones

>Subject: Another view of the CFP
>From: Eric Blossom <eb@sr.hp.com>
>
>Wow, I'm pretty sure I have some 4100 data sheets I got ~9 months ago
>that said the 4100 did not use clipper, but used some "proprietary"
>algorithm.  The 3600 sheets I rcvd at the same time did make reference
>to clipper.  I'll have to dig them out and check.
>
>> Security features
>>
>> - Clipper encryption algorithm  - Display window for                 (sp)
>> - Secure Access Control           authentification identification
>>   System (SACS)                 - Information to create a call
>
>Anybody know what SACS is?
>
>Eric Blossom

The data sheet is labeled 5/93.  I received in in July 1993.  I just
called up a marketing guy at AT&T and asked.   The 4100 is not available
with clipper now, but should be available in late summer.  It is unclear
whether 4100s will be able to interoperate in clipper mode with other 4100s
or just talk to 3600s in clipper mode.  The clipper systems delivered
to date are 3600s.  The 4100 is currently available with one of two
proprietary encryption algorithms, one for export.

SACS is a screening mechanism to prevent you from going secure, except
with expected callers.  It also provides user and security level
authentication.

By definition, data transmission is not available on clipper phones
now.   From the FIPS Pub it is permissible (see the following).
You'll have to wait to see if AT&T will produce a product that can
this summer.  The reason would not be that it is forbidden (its not),
rather muddying of product definitions and competition between products.

From FIPS PUB 185:
The SKIPJACK encryption/decryption algorithm has been approved for
government applications requiring encryption of sensitive but
unclassified data telecommunications as defined herein.  The
specific operations of the SKIPJACK algorithm and the LEAF creation
method are classified and hence are referenced, but not specified,
in this standard.

Data for purposes of this standard includes voice, facsimile and
computer information communicated in a telephone system.  A
telephone system for purposes of this standard is limited to a
system which is circuit switched and operating at data rates of
standard commercial modems over analog voice circuits or which uses
basic-rate ISDN or a similar grade wireless service.

Thread