1994-03-23 - Promise her anything…

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Message Hash: 07463d0b45ac493e704ab079fa49605f312c7e44a8cb31e32b034de9c392354b
Message ID: <199403231900.AA14983@panix.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 23 Mar 94 11:01:10 PST

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 94 11:01:10 PST
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Subject: Promise her anything...

H>A few days ago I said I'd look up the legal requirements on promissory
H>notes.

There are two separate issues in your post -- a promissory note and a
negotiable instrument.

A promissory note is simply a promise to pay someone else something of
value.  In order to be valid, the note has to contain enough information
so that a court (or arbitrator) can determine that the maker of the note
intended to create a debt, that we can determine the amount, and that we
can determine to whom it is owed and when it is due.

A negotiable instrument is a debt instrument that can be sold (negotiated)
and if sold to a "holder in due course" (someone who buys the note for
value and without knowledge of any disputes) can be collected on its face
terms and without reference to any counter claims between the original
maker and the original creditor.

This aspect of negotiable instrument law has caused some libertarians to
oppose the concept of negotiability.

The Black Letter phrase from my Commercial Paper class in law school:

----------
Negotiable Instrument:  A promise to pay to order or bearer a sum certain
in money on or after a date certain.

Note that bearer notes were always specifically included in the
definition.

H>This was to see whether digital cash or similar instruments could
H>implement digital promissory notes.

Yes, they could.

DCF

--- WinQwk 2.0b#1165