1994-03-21 - let’s help law enforcement

Header Data

From: Carl Ellison <cme@sw.stratus.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 081ab74e3b8d9dc5c7e58770f50df47965e11c4f90533060cb1c5216808d2488
Message ID: <199403212328.SAA21945@galt.sw.stratus.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 21 Mar 94 15:28:20 PST

Raw message

From: Carl Ellison <cme@sw.stratus.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 94 15:28:20 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: let's help law enforcement

How come people in law enforcement are calling for us crypto junkies to
help them by giving up crypto (especially when that's useless, since
criminals don't need us for their crypto) ?

I've heard DERD and Co. ask us (me) to come up with a compromise stand.

Well -- here's mine:

NSA can do cryptology in secret and we won't try to pry it out of them.

We'll do cryptology in public and publish it, give away code, etc.

We'll be good citizens and join the local Neighborhood Watch, etc., calling
the police to report lawbreaking which we witness.

What more could possibly be expected of us?  What better way is there to
support law enforcement?

 - Carl

Thread